Question regarding other sites/events

fry_boiter

Hello,

I just stumbled upon Meta-Plays through a post of Loki1750 on the "official" AOM  Voobly Champions League Discord. I think it will be a great addition to the community.
However, I asked myself how you guys see your role in respect to the already existing community on RTS Sanctuary and the Champions League (as well as other events hosted primarily via Discord, such as the EE Legends of tomorrow tournament).
The RTS Sanctuary is in my eyes a lackluster platform for AOM and many of the top posts are 5+ years old (especially the guides). I was asking myself if you would want to replace/take over the forums with this website. Including having guides with BO etc. considering the balance changes on EE 2.8 and Voobly 5.0.

The Champions League on the other hand is awesome and i was wandering if you would be willing to/be interested in hosting it via MetaPlays and get People like ChronoJJ, Boit, DM Quinta and Lundberg (just to name a few) on board.

Edited by fry_boiter
  • Like 1

• fry_boiter changed the title to Question regarding other sites/events
  • Project Director
3 hours ago, fry_boiter said:

I just stumbled upon Meta-Plays through a post of Loki1750 on the "official" AOM  Voobly Champions League Discord. I think it will be a great addition to the community.

Welcome! Glad you like it, and thanks to Loki for the shout-out.

However, I asked myself how you guys see your role in respect to the already existing community on RTS Sanctuary and the Champions League (as well as other events hosted primarily via Discord, such as the EE Legends of tomorrow tournament).

We're an entirely different entity from all of the above, but are happy to partner up. As we stated in our announcement post, we are actually looking for community tournament hosts to make use of our tournament system. Their events would become a part of our season, contributing to the tournament ladders. Tournament hosts can apply here.

The RTS Sanctuary is in my eyes a lackluster platform for AOM and many of the top posts are 5+ years old (especially the guides). I was asking myself if you would want to replace/take over the forums with this website. Including having guides with BO etc. considering the balance changes on EE 2.8 and Voobly 5.0.

Well, we have set up forums, should people wish to use them. It is entirely up to the community. RTS Sanctuary's guides are produced entirely by the community, and that would not be different here either.

The Champions League on the other hand is awesome and i was wandering if you would be willing to/be interested in hosting it via MetaPlays and get People like ChronoJJ, Boit, DM Quinta and Lundberg (just to name a few) on board.

Yup, Champions League is awesome, great work by everyone involved. Like I said above, we are hosting our own league that is self-funded, and have many options for the community to contribute - donations, Patreon, and becoming a tournament host. It's no secret that all the folks you mentioned would be accepted as partners as soon as we get a chance to explain the tech side to them.

We've got quite a bit more in store in terms of production quality for streams - stay tuned!

NakaBannerTwitch.jpg.3b5d6930281ee1407d781d284a9a2664.jpg

Thank you for clarifying! I think a bit of consolidation would be great because it is at times hard to follow what happens where and when and who hosts it. I do hope that this site becomes sort of a "Hub" for all of the above mentioned activities/Tournaments etc.

1 hour ago, Nakamura said:

Well, we have set up forums, should people wish to use them. It is entirely up to the community. RTS Sanctuary's guides are produced entirely by the community, and that would not be different here either.

I understand. What I think would be neat is a sort of agglomerated "official" wisdom of the meta. Mainly to help mid-level players to advance their tactics. But I guess that would take many high-ranking players sitting together and debating stuff (Example: Civ X is mostly better against Civ Y on map Z if you use godpower A at time B or something like that) and even then a consensus on certain topics may not be reached. Since i don't consider myself an expert I don't see myself beeing part of a group that could do this (an expert panel of sorts), but the thought of it is interesting.

• Like 1

• Project Director
30 minutes ago, fry_boiter said:

Thank you for clarifying! I think a bit of consolidation would be great because it is at times hard to follow what happens where and when and who hosts it. I do hope that this site becomes sort of a "Hub" for all of the above mentioned activities/Tournaments etc.

Can't wait to show off the assets we have, and the ladders/tournament profiles. They'll generate after the first event is done, and no doubt will influence the decisions of these guys as to whether they want to work with us.

41 minutes ago, fry_boiter said:

I understand. What I think would be neat is a sort of agglomerated "official" wisdom of the meta. Mainly to help mid-level players to advance their tactics. But I guess that would take many high-ranking players sitting together and debating stuff (Example: Civ X is mostly better against Civ Y on map Z if you use godpower A at time B or something like that) and even then a consensus on certain topics may not be reached. Since i don't consider myself an expert I don't see myself beeing part of a group that could do this (an expert panel of sorts), but the thought of it is interesting.

I have to say forums are pretty challenging in the current era. People are more interested in real time chats over detailed discussion. More interested in streams and casts than replays. Definitely a big cultural shift over the years.

I do hope we can help to revitalize the scene a bit, though. Perhaps people will start on guides again. If nothing else, video formats for guides are perfectly fine and may be shared here just the same.

• Like 1

NakaBannerTwitch.jpg.3b5d6930281ee1407d781d284a9a2664.jpg